The Houses of Parliament hosts private events for invited members of the public. Guests should ensure they bring their approved invitation card and follow the instructions of security staff at all times.
Code of behaviour for public events
You should ensure that you read this Code carefully as your confirmation that you will participate in an event constitutes your acceptance of this Code.
All attendees at Parliamentary events are expected to:
- Act responsibly in a manner that is respectful to others with courtesy, dignity and positive regard to Parliament
- Obey instructions given by Parliamentary officials
- Not leave baggage and personal items unattended
- Wear your visitor pass at all times and return it when you leave.
- Conduct themselves with consideration for the safety and comfort of other guests
- Eat, drink or smoke in designated areas only
- Your host will remain, or arrange a full pass holder to escort you at all times whilst you are on the parliamentary estate and will ensure that you leave by the designated exit route.
If you require further information or have any problems on the day, please contact the event organiser.
Please bring your invitation/confirmation letter/ticket with you to the event as these will form part of the security procedures.
You may be asked to show proof of identity.
Please arrive via Cromwell Green unless your letter or invitation specifically mentions using one of our other entrances.
Security procedures will be in place for all persons entering the building. This includes an airport style search.
Access arrangements for disabled visitors
In order to make your visit to the Parliament as enjoyable as possible, please inform the events organiser of any arrangement which can be made to enable full access to the event. It would be extremely helpful if you do this in advance of the event to enable the necessary arrangements to be put in place.
Queues at the entrance
If your event is during the day, there may be a queue of people waiting to get in the building. Please remember that the queue may be other delegates for your event. If you have a mobility requirement or for some other reason have difficulty in standing in queues please contact the event organiser prior to attending to arrange assistance.
Registration and Badges
You may be asked to register for your event at the Visitor Services desk in Westminster Hall. The organiser of your event may also issue you with an individual name badge; this may only be worn in addition to your visitor pass.
Evacuation of the building
Evacuation procedures will be outlined at the beginning of the event by the organiser. Should it be necessary to evacuate the building, security staff will provide instructions and assistance.
Photographs may only be taken in Westminster Hall, St Stephen's Hall, New Palace Yard and the room where the event is being held (subject to approval from the sponsor).