Houses of Parliament Fast Stream
Do you want to make a difference at the heart of UK democracy?
The Houses of Parliament Fast Stream allows you to play a part in the political events that will shape the future of our nation. You'll work with politicians from across the political spectrum on a day to day basis, helping to scrutinise Government policy and support the UK's democratic processes.
What is the Houses of Parliament Fast Stream?
As a Houses of Parliament fast streamer, you’ll be based in either the House of Commons or the House of Lords. You can express a preference at final interview if you’d like and we’ll do our best to take it into account. You’ll be employed directly by whichever House you work for, rather than the Civil Service.
You’ll work with politicians from all parties to scrutinise Government policy and support the UK’s democratic process. You’ll be working closely with MPs or members of the House of Lords from day one and will learn the intricacies of how Parliament works.
Through a variety of roles you might manage inquiries and evidence sessions for a select committee, or be involved in directly supporting the work of the Commons or Lords Chamber and assisting in the passage of legislation.
The Houses of Parliament Fast Stream will appeal to those with an interest in politics, public policy, and the constitution, and the scheme will give you the experience and skills you need to develop into a future leader of the organisation.
Most of the learning will be on job, and you'll be in real roles with responsibility from the start. You will also receive extensive training, based on your own development needs, including;
- an induction when you first arrive;
- regular training sessions and seminars;
- specialised programme of learning to help you gain an understanding of Parliament and parliamentary procedure
- training and development opportunities, including visits to organisations relevant to Parliament; and
- support from your line manager, the Fast Stream lead in whichever House you're based, a peer buddy, and a senior mentor.
Who are we looking for?
We welcome applications from candidates who have, or expect to achieve, a 2:2 degree or higher in any degree subject. We’re looking for individuals who have:
• excellent written and oral communication skills;
• the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships;
• the potential to provide politically impartial advice;
• skills in analysis and rapidly acquiring knowledge in unfamiliar areas; and
• influencing and persuasion skills
Why work for us?
The House of Commons and the House of Lords are committed to increasing diversity and to maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We strongly welcome and encourage applications from underrepresented groups and diverse backgrounds.
We continue to develop working practices which will allow every member of staff to contribute their best, regardless of race, sex, marital status, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic.
If you have any questions about the Houses of Parliament Fast Stream, please email email@example.com.