Overseas Students: EEA Nationals:Written question - 228054

Asked by Ian Murray
(Edinburgh South)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 04 March 2019
Home Office
Overseas Students: EEA Nationals
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to the Answer of 28 February 2019 to Question 225480, whether international students would be guaranteed a student visa under the new immigration system once their European Temporary Leave to Remain runs out, provided they pass an additional criminality check, without additional cost or administrative burden.
Answered by: Caroline Nokes
Answered on: 07 March 2019

The Government has been clear that there is no limit on the number of genuine international students who can come to study in the UK and there is no intention to impose one.

An EEA national who has been studying in the UK prior to applying for a visa or leave to remain for the purposes of study will be able to do so either under the current Tier 4 route or under the future system. There is no rea-son they should be unable to obtain such permission provided that they meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules at that time.

Share this page