Democratic access tours sponsored by a Member of Parliament (MP) or a Member of the House of Lords are available to UK residents, free of charge.
What does the tour cover?
A knowledgable guide will accompany you on this 75 minute tour that recounts the history of the Palace of Westminster and describes how the business and traditions of both Houses contribute to the day to day workings of the UK Parliament.
When the Houses are sitting, the full tour route may not always be available and can be subject to last minute changes or cancellation due to parliamentary business.
Times and availability
These tours can be booked up to 6 months in advance. Since demand can be high, early booking is recommended although not always essential.
Tours start between the following times:
During parliamentary sessions
- Monday: 9.00am-12noon (full tour)
- Tuesday and Wednesday: 9.00am-9.55am (full tour)
- Tuesday and Wednesday: 10.00am-12noon (partial tour; House of Lords only)
- Thursday: no tours
- Sitting Fridays: 3.30pm-5.15pm (full tour)
- Non-Sitting Fridays: 9.30am-5.15pm (full tour)
During parliamentary recesses
- Summer recess: Monday morning 9.30am-12.30pm (except Bank Holidays)
- Short November recess: 9.30am-5.15pm
- All other recesses: Monday 9.30am-5.15pm (except Bank Holidays when an alternative day will be made available)
Democratic access tours are not available on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
UK residents should contact their local MP or a Member of the House of Lords to arrange a tour. There is no charge for tours booked in this way.
Other tours available to UK and overseas visitors
UK residents and overseas visitors can book tickets for a number of other tours at the Houses of Parliament which take place on Saturdays throughout the year and on weekdays during parliamentary recesses.
Tickets can be purchased online, by calling +44 (0)20 7219 4114 or from the Ticket Office.