Sustainability and social responsibility
The House of Commons Catering Service (CS) recognises our responsibility to carry out our business activities in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. We exhibits leadership and strength in our sustainable procurement initiatives and work closely with our own team, nominated suppliers, recognised trade associations and the community at large to deliver on a range of responsible initiatives.
CS is committed to incorporating robust environmental, social, and ethical considerations into its product and service selection processes and will continue to develop sustainability criteria within all of our tender specifications. We encourage our suppliers to minimise negative environmental and social impacts and actively seek out details of efficiency, transport, waste reduction and management, innovation, ethical product sourcing, and social responsibility from all of our partners with the aim of minimising the negative environmental and social effects associated with the products and services they provide.
We adhere to the following principals that demonstrate our commitment to operating responsibly:
- We source food that meets UK or equivalent standards of production and actively seek out food produced to higher environmental standards where possible.
- We only purchase seafood from sustainable, well-managed sources and continuously audit products against the Marine Conservation Society's 'Fish to Eat' ratings.
- We promote seasonal fresh produce on our menus.
- We only purchase meat and poultry that meets UK welfare farm assured standards.
- We only purchase free-range fresh eggs and free-range pasteurised egg products.
- All our tea and coffee is fairly traded.
- All our products are fully traceable to source.
- The products we source do not knowingly contravene any of the International Labour Organisation conventions regarding working age, hours, pay, conditions or safety.