The Prime Minister is the leader of the Government. He or she is the leader of the party that wins the most seats at a general election. After a general election the monarch calls upon the leader of the largest party to form the Government. The Prime Minister chooses the other Members of the Government and has a residence and offices at 10 Downing Street.
- About Parliament: Government and Opposition roles
- Research Briefing: Prime Ministers (since 1721)
- Research Briefing: Parliamentary Private Secretaries to Prime Ministers since 1906
- Related glossary term: Cabinet
- Related glossary term: Government
- 10 Downing Street - website of the Prime Minister [external site]