Skip to main content

Give way

Selected letter G

To 'give way' or 'giving way' are the terms used by MPs who want to interrupt an MP who is speaking in the House of Commons. An MP cannot intervene when another MP is speaking to the House unless that MP allows it by giving way. There is no equivalent phrase in the House of Lords although some former MPs occasionally still use the term.

Find out more

What's happening in your Parliament?