Affirmative procedure is a type of parliamentary procedure that applies to statutory instruments (SIs). Its name describes the form of scrutiny that the SI receives from Parliament.
An SI laid under the affirmative procedure must be actively approved by both Houses of Parliament. Certain SIs on financial matters are only considered by the Commons.
- Statutory Instruments Service
- About Parliament: Secondary legislation
- Research Briefing: Statutory Instruments
- Related glossary term: Negative procedure
- Related glossary term: Statutory instruments