Skip to main content

Dissolution of Parliament

The dissolution of Parliament took place on Thursday 30 May 2024. All business in the House of Commons and House of Lords has come to an end. There are currently no MPs and every seat in the Commons is vacant until after the general election on 4 July 2024.

Find out more about:

Requests for information made while Parliament is dissolved are likely to receive responses later than normal. More information is available on the ‘Making a request during dissolution’ page.

How to make a request

Any member of the public can request information from us, in line with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004. These laws provide an access right to recorded information we hold, subject to some exceptions.

Before you make a request, please:

Where to submit your request

You can make a request by email by contacting the Information Compliance team of either House of Parliament:

You can alternatively post your request to us using the postal address of either House.

For information about how we will process your personal data, please see our privacy notices.

Points to note when making a request

Formal requests for information must:

  • Be in writing, such as by email
  • Include your name
  • Include an address for correspondence, either email or postal

Please include a clear description of the information you wish to access.

You may also specify the format in which you wish to receive the information. However, it is not always possible to comply with this.

Please also note that:

  • We are only required to provide information held at the time of your request
  • We are not required to create information to answer a request
  • We are not required to provide legal advice, or to analyse any laws to decide if they are relevant to your request
  • The copyright on any information supplied remains with the copyright holder and does not transfer to the requester. You will need to check whether copyright restrictions apply before copying or publishing information you receive.
  • In some cases, a charge may apply for the provision of the information, e.g. if photocopies are required. We will advise you of this in our response.
  • Requests around the period of Dissolution – the period between a General Election being called and the election itself – are likely to take longer to respond to. More information is available on our ‘Making a request during Dissolution’ page.

Further guidance about how to make a Freedom of Information request can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.

Further information