Skip to main content

Finding information

A wealth of information about the House of Commons and the House of Lords is already available to the public.

Information freely available from the parliamentary website includes:

  • information on forthcoming business
  • daily Proceedings recorded in the official report (Hansard), including votes taken in the House
  • public bills in progress
  • committee publications

Publication Scheme

The House of Commons and the House of Lords each have a Publication Scheme which sets out the classes of information that they publish and states how the information is made available.

Information Offices

The House of Commons and the House of Lords each have an Information Office, which serve as a central contact point for queries from the public and the press on the work of each House, including membership, current and future business.

Parliamentary Archives

The Parliamentary Archives provides an archive service for both Houses of Parliament and facilitates public access to records.

Making a request

Before making a request, you may wish to check whether the information you require is already available from one of the sources above.

The House of Commons and the House of Lords are separate public authorities. Requests for access to information should be directed to the relevant House which may hold the requested information.

For requests or advice and assistance in making requests to the House of Commons please email Information Compliance .

For requests or advice and assistance in making requests to the House of Lords please email the House of Lords Information Compliance team

Academic researchers are encouraged to contact the relevant House to discuss their research projects prior to making requests, particularly if they require large volumes of information.  The UCL Constitution Unit has produced a Guide to Making Freedom of Information Requests for academic researchers.

General queries regarding the Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations should be directed to the Information Commissioner's Office, as the independent authority set up to promote access to official information.


The Act does not transfer copyright on any information supplied in response to a request made under the Freedom of Information Act.

Information may be subject to parliamentary copyright or to third party copyright.

Any infringement of copyright is the responsibility of the applicant. You will need to check whether copyright restrictions apply before copying or publishing (including on the Internet) information you receive in response to a Freedom of Information request.

Data Protection Act 1998

The personal data supply on this form will be held and processed in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 by the House of Parliament to whom you have directed your request. This information will be processed for the purpose of handling your request for information. For further information about the processing of personal data please refer to the relevant House: