Consultation on the Review of the Guide to the Rules relating to the Conduct of Members
John Lyon, the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, has today launched a public consultation to inform his review of the Guide to the Rules relating to the conduct of Members. He will report his conclusions to the Committee on Standards and Privileges. This work follows his review of the Code of Conduct in 2011.
The Commissioner said:
"This is the first time that the opportunity has been taken to review the whole of the Guide in full...
Its aims are to improve the presentation of the Guide, to clarify its provisions and to make any necessary changes to ensure it remains relevant to current circumstances. This is in the interests of both Members and the wider public, who should have a clear and accessible statement of the rules under which Members are expected to operate."
The Commissioner has today made his consultation paper available on his webpages.
Responses should be sent by 12 April 2012 to email@example.com or in hard copy to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards at the House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.
After considering the comments he receives, the Commissioner will report his conclusions to the Committee on Standards and Privileges. This will include any proposals for changes to the Guide. The Committee will report the matter to the House, who will consider any changes.
Note to Editors
- Copies of the consultation paper are available on the Commissioner’s webpages.
- The Guide to the Rules can be found here.
- The Committee’s memorandum on the review of the Code of Conduct is available here.
- The responsibilities of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards under Standing Order No 150 (2) (d) include monitoring the operation of the Code of Conduct and registers and making recommendations to the Committee on Standards and Privileges.
- The Committee for Standards in Public Life recommended in 2002 that in each Parliament the Commissioner should initiate a review of the Code of Conduct and the Guide to the Rules. This Review is in accordance with that recommendation.