Review of the Code of Conduct - Second Consultation
The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards is inviting members of the public to contribute to her review of the Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament.
The Code sets the principles, standards and more detailed rules which all MPs are expected to follow in their public lives. The consultation period opens today and the closing date for responses is 30 November 2016.
A review is undertaken once in each Parliament and, working with the Committee on Standards, the Commissioner is consulting widely on the purpose and structure of the Rules as well as the detail they contain. The current Rules can be found here and the detailed consultation document and questions can be found here (pdf 2.4MB) (pdf 2.4MB)
Responses can be sent by email to email@example.com or by post to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA.
The Code of Conduct was last reviewed in 2012.
Notes for Editors
1. The current framework for Parliamentary Standards dates from 1995, when the first Commissioner was appointed. Kathryn Hudson is the fifth Commissioner. She was appointed for five years with effect from 1 January 2013. The appointment is not renewable.
2. The Commissioner's main duties are:
- to maintain the Register of Members' Financial Interests and the other registers of interests for Members' staff, journalists and All-Party Groups;
- to provide advice confidentially on matters relating to the registration and declaration of interests;
- to advise the Committee on Standards on the interpretation of the Code of Conduct;
- to monitor the operation of the Code of Conduct and registers and to make recommendations to the Committee thereon;
- to investigate, if she thinks fit, specific matters which have come to her attention relating to the conduct of Members and to report on them to the Committee on Standards.
The Commissioner's remit does not extend to the House of Lords. Information about the House of Lords Commissioner for Standards can be found at http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/standards-and-interests/the-commissioner-for-standards/
Complaints about the misuse of the scheme for parliamentary expenses since May 2010 are a matter for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority. Information about their Compliance Officer is available at http://www.parliamentarycompliance.org.uk/
Information about the Commissioner's current caseload can be found at http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/standards-and-financial-interests/parliamentary-commissioner-for-standards/complaints-and-investigations/allegations-under-investigation-by-the-commissioner/
Description of the process for investigating complaints can be found at http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/standards-and-financial-interests/parliamentary-commissioner-for-standards/complaints-and-investigations/
The latest edition of the Register of Members' Financial Interests can be found at http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/standards-and-financial-interests/parliamentary-commissioner-for-standards/registers-of-interests/register-of-members-financial-interests/
4. For media enquiries please contact the House of Commons Media Relations team: HOCMediaCorporate@parliament.uk / 0207 219 0969
10 October 2016