During the coronavirus pandemic
The standards expected of MPs do not change during the pandemic. The Commissioner remains committed to upholding those standards. She is also committed to conducting investigations that are independent, impartial, thorough and fair.
The Commissioner has set her office the following priorities for the summer of 2020:
- To oversee the investigation of complaints made under the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme. These complaints concern harassment, bullying or sexual misconduct. They have serious implications for both complainant and responder, and investigations should not be delayed.
- To bring about the resolution of complaints made under the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme.
- To conclude as soon as practicable her investigation of all ongoing inquiries into alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct.
- To investigate any further serious breaches of the Code of Conduct which come to her attention.
- To promote transparency, and to publish the Register of Members' Financial Interests.
These priorities have equal standing.
The Commissioner recognises that difficulties arising from the pandemic may affect the pace of her work. She asks you to be patient if her office is unable to reply to a new complaint within the usual five working days. She may ask you to wait longer for a reply, or to resubmit your allegation at a later stage. Email communication is preferred. Either way, she will make her decisions according to the same criteria: whether the allegation falls within her remit, and whether there is sufficient evidence to justify an inquiry.
26 March 2020