The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards in the House of Commons is Kathryn Stone OBE.
Her role is
- to provide advice
- to investigate allegations that MPs have broken their Code of Conduct and its supporting rules
- to decide complaints from the parliamentary community about harassment, bullying or sexual harassment by MPs
- to keep the MPs’ Code of Conduct under review
- to keep the Register of Members’ Financial Interests and the three other Registers which the House requires.
You can contact the Commissioner’s office, in confidence, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We aim to reply to correspondence within 5 working days. Or you can call 0207 219 3738.
Some things the Commissioner does not do:
- She cannot investigate complaints about what Ministers have done in their Ministerial role
- She cannot investigate Members of the House of Lords. (This is the task of the Lords Commissioner).
- She cannot investigate complaints about how an MP has dealt with a constituent’s concern, or about the level of service they provide
- She cannot investigate complaints about MPs’ expenses, or about criminal matters.
Paragraphs 10 to 18 of the Code of Conduct sets out what the Commissioner can investigate. The rules which support the Code are mostly in the Guide to the Rules which is published with the Code.