UK members of the Committee:
|Mr Mike Hancock MP|
|Mr Robert Walter MP|
|Mr Christopher Chope ex officio|
Terms of reference:
- The committee is responsible for seeking to ensure: the fulfilment of the obligations assumed by the member states under the terms of the Council of Europe Statute, the European Convention on Human Rights and all other conventions concluded within the Organisation to which they are parties; the honouring of the commitments entered into by the authorities of member states on their accession to the Council of Europe.
- The committee may propose to the Assembly the initiation or reopening of a monitoring procedure when a member state is not fulfilling its obligations or not honouring its commitments.
- The committee shall also consider applications to open a monitoring procedure originating from; the general committees of the Assembly by reasoned written application to the Bureau; no fewer than ten members of the Assembly representing at least five national delegations and two political groups, through the tabling of a motion for a resolution or recommendation; the Bureau of the Assembly.
- The committee may also be instructed to carry out a monitoring procedure by decision pursuant to a text adopted by the Assembly or the Standing Committee.
- The committee shall report to the Assembly once a year on the general progress of the monitoring procedure, at least once every two years on each country being monitored and at least once every four years on each country being involved in a post-monitoring dialogue.
- Once a post-monitoring dialogue with a member state has been decided on by the Assembly, the committee shall pursue this dialogue on the follow-up undertaken by the authorities of that state to the steps recommended by the Assembly in its adopted texts closing the monitoring procedure, or on any other issues arising from that state's obligations. It shall subsequently report to the Bureau of the Assembly.
- The committee shall follow the activities of and maintain working relations with the subsidiary bodies of the Committee of Ministers which are competent to monitor member states' obligations and commitments, and with the relevant international institutions.
- The committee shall share the Assembly representation in the Council for Democratic Elections of the European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission).
PACE Committee on the Honouring of Obligations and Commitments by Member States (Monitoring)