Gender Equality Policy Hub
(last updated May 2020)
The Gender Equality Policy Map is published by the Gender Equality Policy Hub in the House of Commons' Scrutiny Unit. It maps some of the key policies with relevance to equality for and between women and men, boys and girls including:
- UK Government policies, public consultations and parliamentary inquiries
- Civil society initiatives and research
- International events
Key roles and structures in the UK and internationally:
The Minister for Women and Equalities is head of the Government Equalities Office (GEO) in the Cabinet Office. Other key bodies include the Race Disparity Unit, the Office for Disability Issues, the new Office for Tackling Injustices, all to be located within Cabinet Office, and the Office for National Statistics Centre for Equalities and Inclusion.
The Women and Equalities Committee in the House of Commons scrutinises GEO and the EHRC.
The UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women monitors implementation by States of the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). UN Women is the UN body dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Key laws and policies include:
- Gender equality at every stage: A roadmap for change and Gender Equality Monitor: Tracking progress on gender equality 2019
- Ending Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy (Strategy Refresh 2019)
- Female Offender Strategy 2018
- Department for International Development Strategic Vision for Gender Equality 2018
- Equality Act 2010 – sex is one of the protected characteristics in the Act and there are specific provisions prohibiting sexual harassment and on workplace discrimination including pay
- Human Rights Act 1998
- Council of Europe's Istanbul Convention on Violence Against Women (signed by the UK but not yet ratified)
- European Commission's Strategic Engagement for Gender Equality 2016-2019
- UN Convention on all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) – this requires States to take all appropriate means without delay to eliminate discrimination against women
- Sustainable Development Goals including Goal 5 Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Gender Equality Policy Map
Download the Gender Equality Policy Map here.