Skip to main content

About the House of Commons Enquiry Service

Our office was originally set up in 1978 so we have a lot of experience in answering questions and helping to explain the work and role of the House of Commons to the public.

  • Who is my MP?
  • How can I get this raised in the House of Commons?
  • What will happen next with this Bill?
  • How can I find a speech that was made in the Commons in the 19th Century?
  • What can I bring when I visit?

Enquiries put to the office are wide-ranging and almost any aspect of the current work of the House of Commons, its committees, its membership, practices or traditions can be dealt with.

However, please note that:

  • we cannot offer legal advice or interpretation of legislation
  • we do not have the resources to undertake lengthy research
  • we cannot comment or advise on government policy – you should contact the government department responsible for that policy directly. See the GOV.UK website for a full list of departments and contact details
  • we cannot pass on messages to Members of Parliament. Please use the contact details for MPs provided on our website to contact MPs directly.

Data Protection

We manage your personal data in line with Data Protection Legislation.

For the purposes of this notice, the personal data we collect is: your name, email and/or postal address. The lawful basis for processing your personal data is that the processing is necessary for Parliamentary functions. Find out about how we process your personal data and your rights in more detail at House of Commons data protection information.

The retention period for the collection of this personal data is twelve months after which the personal data will be disposed of securely.

For general information about Data Protection please contact the House of Commons Information Rights and Information Security (IRIS) Service whose details can be found in the privacy notice.

Contact us

Find out how to contact the House of Commons Enquiry Service.

Find out more

Latest tweets


Find an MP or Member of the Lords

Enter your postcode, constituency or the name of an MP to find their contact details.

Find Members