Skip to main content

House of Commons Enquiry Service

The House of Commons Enquiry Service (HCES) provides information on the work, history and membership of the House of Commons.

Do you have a question for us?

  • Who is my MP?
  • How can I get this raised in the House of Commons?
  • What will happen next with this Bill?
  • How can I find a speech that was made in the Commons in the 19th Century?
  • What can I bring when I visit?

If you have a question about the House of Commons or the work of MPs, past or present, please contact the friendly House of Commons Enquiry Team and we will do our best to help.


Publications produced by the HCES

The House of Commons Enquiry Service produces a series of free publications which you can read online, or contact us to request copies.

Archived publications

The Weekly Information Bulletin and the Sessional Information Digest ceased publication in 2012, but previous editions are still available online.

Editors: we can proof your content

If your publication includes information about the House of Commons please ask us to check your content for accuracy. This service is provided free of charge in the public interest.

About our service

Originally set up in 1978, our mission is to help members of the public find the information they need to follow, understand and engage with the work of the House of Commons.

Enquiries put to the HCES are wide-ranging and almost any aspect of the current work of the House of Commons, its committees, its membership, practices or traditions can be dealt with. 

However, please note that:

  • we cannot offer legal advice or interpretation of legislation
  • we do not have the resources to undertake lengthy research
  • we cannot comment or advise on government policy – you should contact the government department responsible for that policy directly. See the GOV.UK website for a full list of departments and contact details
  • we cannot pass on messages to Members of Parliament. Please use the contact details for MPs provided on our website to contact MPs directly.

You can read our Customer Service Charter here.

Please also note the House of Commons Restricting or Altering Services to the Public policy

Other useful contacts

Your question is about... Where to find an answer...
The House of Lords Contact House of Lords Enquiry Service
Freedom of information requests Read Freedom of Information webpages
Media and photography Contact House of Commons Media Relations Team
MPs' pay and expenses Contact the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) (external site)
Devolved legislatures Read Devolved Parliaments and Assemblies
Political parties and their polices Contact individual political parties. See Current state of the parties for links.
Registering to vote Read Register to vote (external site)


Find an MP or Member of the Lords

Enter your postcode, constituency or the name of an MP to find their contact details.

Find Members

Latest tweets