This event is open to MPs, Peers, and parliamentary staff.
MPs, Peers and parliamentary staff were invited to discuss whether the UK ready for the next global epidemic. They joined POST in partnership with the APPG for Future Generations for a roundtable discussion with Government officials, leading academics and other stakeholders. The event briefed parliamentarians on biosecurity threats such as natural pandemics, outbreaks of emerging human infectious diseases and intentionally created infectious agents.
Summary of the event ( PDF 326 KB)
Chair: Lord Toby Harris
- Dr Ngozi Erondu, Associate Fellow, Centre on Global Health Security, Chatham House
- Professor Christl Donnelly, Department of Statistics, University of Oxford and School of Public Health, Imperial College London
- Dr Catherine Rhodes, Executive Director, Centre for the Study of Existential Risk and Senior Researcher at Biosecurity Research Initiative at St Catharine's (BioRISC)
- Professor Daniel Bausch, Director of the UK Public Health Rapid Support Team, Public Health England and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Dr Piers Millett, Senior Research Fellow at the Future of Humanity Institute
- Lord Browne of Ladyton, Visiting Researcher at the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk
This was a closed briefing for MPs, peers, and parliamentary staff, with priority given to MPs and peers.