On the 6th December, POST held a closed breakfast briefing event for MPs, Peers and their staff in the Attlee Room in the House of Lords on the potential future uses of distributed ledger technologies in the public sector. These range from verifying a benefit claimant’s identity and making welfare payments via their mobile phone, to replacing the birth/deaths/marriage registry and ensuring the long-term integrity of digital public records. The event was chaired by Stephen Metcalfe MP and seven experts leading thinking about uses of distributed ledger technology in UK took part in an open discussion including:
- Professor Sir Mark Walport, Government Chief Scientific Adviser
- Professor David Birch, Director of Innovation at Consult Hyperion
- Calogero Scibetta, Operations and Business development Manager, Everledger
- Dr Cathy Mulligan, Research Fellow in the Centre for Cryptocurrency Research and Engineering, Imperial College
- Dr Chris Sier, Director of FiNexus
- Professor Vili Lehdonvirta, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford
- Simon Taylor, Co-founder of 11:FS.
A summary of the discussion at the event is available here ( PDF 317 KB).