Knowledge Exchange Unit
We support the exchange of information and expertise between researchers and the UK Parliament. Working with higher education and beyond, we facilitate and strengthen this exchange of knowledge in a variety of ways.
Resources and support we offer
- A first point of contact for any researcher wishing to work with or find out more about UK Parliament
- Face to face training through 'Parliament for Researchers', our monthly regional training events for researchers and those working in higher education
- Online training through our series of webinars for researchers and knowledge mobilisers
- @UKParl_Research Twitter feed, bringing together opportunities, information and advice for researchers and a platform to interact with teams across UK Parliament
- Online resources about why and how to engage with UK Parliament
- We are working to develop relationships between UK Parliament and networks and organisations in the research community
- We are liaising with Research England on the Research Excellence Framework (REF) and Knowledge Exchange Framework (KEF), to ensure understanding of knowledge exchange and impact in legislatures
- We are continually working to understand the barriers faced by researchers in policy engagment, and what action Parliament and others can take to support diverse and inclusive engagement between Parliament and researchers.
Our work with fellow knowledge mobilisers
- We have a growing network of knowledge mobilisers, such as university KE staff, impact officers or policy managers, or policy-focused intermediaries in organisations such as learned societies or professional bodies. We work with this network to support researcher engagement, communicate key opportunities and information around engaging with Parliament, and understand the priorities, needs and challenges of the research sector. If you occupy one of these roles, we would love you to join our network: please email us on email@example.com to let us know you'd like to join.
Increasing the effectiveness of our work
- We are keen to increase the effectiveness of our work, and frequently draw on insights from the social science and practitioner literature as well as learnings from the many and diverse individuals and organisations we engage with.
- We are always keen to hear from those who have insights around effective KE and impact practices, so do feel free to get in touch.
- Currently, we are working with Dr Sandra Messenger (Knowledge Exchange Manager at Cranfield University), who is conducting a Parliamentary Academic Fellowship with us to help us understand and improve our digital knowledge exchange activity.
Report: a review of the first two years of the KEU and our 2020-2021 strategy
In September 2020, the KEU turned two. To celebrate this, we have produced a report looking at our evolution and achievements in collaboration with researchers, knowledge mobilisers, universities and other organisations over the past two years. The report also lays out our strategy and priorities for 2020-2021. You can read the report here: Celebrating two years of the Knowledge Exchange Unit in UK Parliament: our achievements, learnings and next steps.
For more information about the Knowledge Exchange Unit, or advice on working with UK Parliament as a researcher, contact the Knowledge Exchange team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr Sarah Foxen, Knowledge Exchange Lead
- Naomi Saint, Knowledge Exchange Manager
- Dr Laura Webb, Knowledge Exchange Manager