Get Involved with the Youth Select Committee
The Youth Select Committee's next inquiry has been paused. For any questions or queries, please email email@example.com
Knife crime inquiry 2019
Knife crime was voted as the top issue in the Make Your Mark ballot that consulted 1.1 million young people.
As part of the inquiry the Committee will look at issues including:
- Is the Government strategy doing enough to effectively combat knife crime?
- Are there trends in the statistics of who is perpetrating and who are the victims of knife crime?
- How is knife crime affecting public services?
A full terms of reference can be found on the British Youth Council website.
Watch the evidence sessions
On Friday 12 July 2019 the Youth Select Committee held their second oral evidence session for their inquiry. The range of witnesses included MPs, intervention charities and young people. The session was shown live on the Parliament Live TV channel.
Footage from the Youth panel is available on Parliament Live.
On Friday 5th July the Committee held their first session and heard from a Government minister, members of the police and community organisers.
Additionally, transcripts of both evidence sessions are available to read.
Read the report
Read the report: Our Generation's Epidemic: Knife Crime
What is the YSC?
The Youth Select Committee (YSC) is a British Youth Council initiative, supported by the House of Commons, which takes evidence in public and has its proceedings televised and recorded in Hansard.
The eleven committee members are aged 15-18 and include Members of the UK Youth Parliament, Youth Councillors and representatives from each of the devolved nations. The YSC receives induction training and mentoring from parliamentary Clerks and British Youth Council staff.
Look at past inquiries
In 2018 the YSC conducted an inquiry on the topic of Work Experience.
- Read last year's Committee report, which contains a variety of recommendations for Government.
- You can also read the Government's response, which offers an answer to the Committee's recommendations.
In 2017 the YSC conducted an inquiry focusing on the topic of Body Image.
- Read the Committee report, which contains a variety of recommendations for the Government.
- You can also read the Government's response, which offers an answer to each of the YSC's recommendations.
British Youth Council: Youth Select Committee
Image: Parliamentary copyright