Who should I contact with my issue?

MPs and members of the Lords can usually only help with issues that are the responsibility of the UK Parliament. Often the right person to contact will be a local councillor, the Citizens’ Advice Bureau or an ombudsman. Depending on the issue, if you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland you may need to contact your MSPs, AMs or MLAs.

When should I contact someone else first?

MPs can offer advice and assistance on matters for which the UK Parliament is responsible, such as the NHS, pensions, benefits, UK-wide tax and national insurance, immigration issues, energy, defence, and data protection. They cannot interfere in court decisions and they can't help with private disputes.

Some issues are not the direct responsibility of Parliament or government. In these instances, you should first contact either your local council or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau before considering contacting your MP.

These are issues such as:

  • council tax
  • housing
  • private problems with neighbours, landlords, employers, family; or companies who have sold you faulty goods
  • decisions made by the courts
  • issues that are the responsibility of your local council such as refuse collections or street repairs.


The Scottish Parliament deals with matters that have been devolved by the Westminster Parliament. Your MSP - Member of the Scottish Parliament - can help you if you have concerns about matters such as health services, education, justice and transport.

Find your MSP


Welsh Assembly Members (AMs) can help you if you are concerned about issues such as social welfare, fire and rescue services, flood defences and rural development.

Find your AM

Northern Ireland

MLAs - Members of the Legislative Assembly - can help you if you have concerns about matters such as policing and justice, health and social care, tourism and trade and investment.

Find your MLA

European Union

As a member of the European Union, the UK elects Members of the European Parliament (MEPs), who can help if you have concerns about EU-wide issues such as employment and working conditions, consumer protection (e.g. roaming charges for mobile phones) and environmental standards.

Find your MEP

When you should contact the government

If, for example, you have a question about government policies on the National Health Service, this should be directed to the government department that deals with that subject - in this case, the Department for Health.

Contacting a government minister

If you wish to contact a specific government minister in either House in connection to their ministerial responsibilities, please use the contact facilities on their departmental website.

Contact the House of Commons Enquiry Service

The House of Commons Enquiry Service provides information on the work, history and membership of the House of Commons.

  • Telephone: 0800 112 4272 (Freephone) or 020 7219 4272
  • Email: hcenquiries@parliament.uk
  • Text relay:  Dial 18001 followed by our full number

Our telephone enquiry service is open between 10am-12 midday and 2pm-4pm (Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays).


The House of Commons Enquiry Service produces a series of free publications which you can read online, or contact us to request copies.

House of Commons on Twitter

Follow @HouseofCommons for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber.

Other people who may be better able to help with your issue

  • For information about Government services and policies: GOV.UK
  • Free, independent and impartial advice on your rights and responsibilities: Citizens Advice
  • If you have a problem or a question about your local services: Find your Local Council
  • Could an Ombudsman help? Find the right Ombudsman to deal with your complaint: Ombudsman Association