Committee hears evidence on peacekeepers and human rights
2 November 2015
On Tuesday 3 November the Sexual Violence in Conflict Committee takes evidence from individuals involved in peacekeeping and the defence of human rights.
Tuesday 3 November in Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
- Ms Paula Donovan, Co-Director, AIDS-Free World (via video link)
- Ms Carla Ferstman, Director, Redress
- Mr David Mepham, UK Director, Human Rights Watch
- Ms Lauren Wolfe, Journalist and Director, Women Under Siege Project (via video link)
- Ms Yanar Mohammed, President, Organization of Women's Freedom in Iraq (via video link)
Questions the Committee will put to the witnesses include:
- What role training can play in eradicating abuse and exploitation?
- Whether immunity from prosecution for UN personnel should be waived for those accused of committing such acts?
- How effective the UN support for victims has been?
- Whether national governments have responded to the G8's call for more political and diplomatic support for human rights defenders?
- How human rights defenders are supported in the countries in which they operate?
- What is the role of local organisations in providing early warning about outbreaks of sexual violence in conflict?