Impact of Brexit on local government
6 December 2017
The Communities and Local Government Committee examines the impact of the UK's withdrawal from the EU on local government and the role councils could play post-Brexit.
- Watch Parliament TV: Brexit and Local Government
- Inquiry: Brexit and Local Government
- Communities and Local Government
The session is aimed at examining the key concerns of the local government sector and the desired outcome of the EU negotiations and will hear from academics, representatives from councils and the Local Government Association.
The Committee will focus on issues including the replacement of EU funding, EU workforce, legislation, devolution of powers to local government and representation of local authorities in the negotiations.
Priorities for local government after Brexit
Clive Betts MP, Chair of the Communities and Local Government Committee, said:
"It's important that local government is not overlooked in Brexit negotiations especially given the impact it might have on investment, development and funding for councils.
There is also the central issue of returning powers from Brussels and the role local government can play post-Brexit.
In our opening session, we will want to examine the priorities for negotiations and what would be the best outcome for local authorities."
The inquiry is expected to run until early 2019.
Wednesday 6 December 2017, Committee Room 15, Palace of Westminster
- Professor Amelia Hadfield, Director, Centre for European Studies, Canterbury Christ Church University
- Professor Laurence Ferry, Durham University
- Professor Tony Travers, Director, Institute of Public Affairs, LSE
- Rob Whiteman, Chief Executive, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy
- Councillor Kevin Bentley, Brexit Task and Finish Group, Local Government Association
- Jessie Hamshar, Service Director (Strategy and Engagement), Cornwall Council
- Helen Dickinson, Assistant Chief Executive, Newcastle City Council
- Read the House of Commons Library paper on Brexit and local government
- About Parliament: Select committees
- Visiting Parliament: Watch committees