The resource includes a short introductory quiz followed by four activities:
- Parliament and government – use the interactive tool to build a diagram showing the difference
- Look inside the House of Commons chamber and take the quiz
- Visit the House of Lords chamber and take the quiz
- Take the quiz about the monarch’s role in Parliament
Three levels of difficulty allow you to tailor the activities to suit your students.
At level 1, students will:
- Gain an overview of the structure of Parliament, and the role of the House of Commons, House of Lords, and the Monarch
- Learn basic information about politics today including the name of the current Prime Minister, governing parties and government departments, with an overview of their role
- Learn to understand key terms including government, opposition, constituency, Member of Parliament (MP), Lord and Peer
- Recognise the difference between Parliament and government
At level 2, students will also:
- Learn more about Parliament’s legislative role and how the three parts of Parliament contribute to making laws
- Find out more about the composition of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, including ministers and shadow ministers, the cabinet, cross benchers, and the role of the bishops
- Find out more about the role of the monarchy during events such as the Queen’s Speech at the State Opening of Parliament
At level 3, students will also:
- Understand further key terms including: legislature, scrutiny, voting systems (proportional representation, First Past the Post, the Single Transferable Vote) and the role of the whips
- Be introduced to the work of Select Committees, with brief examples of recent prominent inquiries
- Find out more detail about the monarch’s role, including appointing Members of the Lords and dissolving Parliament before an election
An Introduction to Parliament level 1
Launch the whiteboard resource at level 1.
An Introduction to Parliament level 2
Launch the whiteboard resource at level 2.
An Introduction to Parliament level 3
Launch the whiteboard resource at level 3.
Level 1 walkthrough
A practical guide to the level 1 whiteboard resource for teachers.
pdf file - 891 KB
Level 2 walkthrough
A practical guide to the level 2 whiteboard resource for teachers.
pdf file - 982 KB
Level 3 walkthrough
A practical guide to the level 3 whiteboard resource for teachers.
pdf file - 958 KB