Pupil Parliament is a news report and speech writing resource created with literacy charity A Tale Unfolds. The resource includes videos, lesson plans and interactive whiteboard slides.
The Write Brothers lead pupils through the process of reporting, while raising an important issue with an MP or a member of the House of Lords. Then, pupils become MPs or members of the Lords themselves by writing and recording their own ‘speeches to Parliament’. Filming is simple: you only need one tablet (or any device with a camera) to bring this project to life. Show your class how they can make a difference!
Enter your pupils' films into the politics category of primary school film festival LitFilmFest 2018. There, they could see their video projected onto the big screen. Pupils can even win a YouTube filming day for your school!
Students will learn:
· The role of MPs and members of the House of Lords
· When/how to contact an MP or member of the House of Lords and what they can do to help
· The features of news reports
· Persuasive speech writing
· To research, discuss and debate topical issues
· To create and edit digital video
The resource develops literacy and digital skills over the course of 10 lessons.
Time required: 10 hours max