Get Debating is a new series of classroom worksheets focusing on debating techniques, structuring effective arguments and finding suitable topics for debate.
The pack consists of four worksheets that students can use in the classroom, as well as a glossary of debating terms and accompanying teachers' notes.
The four worksheets are:
- Debater’s Checklist - A step by step checklist to get students ready for debate.
- Moderator's Guide - A guide for students to use to manage the tricky task of running a debate.
- In your School - Helps students find issues for debate in school and encourages them to survey their peers to decide which issues to prioritise.
- In the News Now - Helps students to identify current new stories and topics suitable for debate.
You can download the full set of worksheets below or you can download worksheets individually from the links in the above text.
SEND accessible worksheets are also available on this page.
Additional differentiated resources for SEND pupils include:
These worksheets can be used in Citizenship lessons and also in English, Government & Politics and other related subjects where students are exploring complex topics and careful consideration of issues.
- Practise their debating skills and prepare structured arguments for debate
- Research news stories and issues suitable for debate
- Learn how to campaign on issues at school
Get Debating worksheets - PDF version
Get Debating worksheets - Word version
These teachers' notes offer suggestions on how to use the Get Debating worksheets in the classroom.
pdf file - 708 KB
Additional supporting resources (SEND accessible)
Choosing a good debate, Glossary, Moderator prompt sheet, Sorting exercise, Organising an argument.
Vocabulary (SEND accessible)
Pre-learning vocab sheet
Teacher notes (SEND accessible)
Use with SEND students.
Grid demonstrating how the Get Debating worksheets relate to the curricula for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
doc file - 465 KB