Written questions and answers

Written questions allow Members of Parliament to ask government ministers for information on the work, policy and activities of government departments.

Historical written answers can be found in Hansard.

Find the latest written questions and answers for the 2017-19 session below. We welcome your feedback on this service.

Show
by:
Find by:
Close

UIN

Unique Identifying Number – Every written question in the House of Commons has a UIN per Parliament. In the House of Lords each written questions has a UIN per parliamentary session.
Showing 1-4 out of 4
Results per page
Results per page 20 | 50 | 100
Expand all answers
Print selected
Q
Asked by John Healey
(Wentworth and Dearne)
[N]
Close

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 07 March 2018
Department for Work and Pensions
Support for Mortgage Interest
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many and what proportion of claimants of support for mortgage interest claimants have (i) received advice on their options for alternative support when support for mortgage interest ends and (ii) applied for replacement loan payments.
A
Answered by: Kit Malthouse
Answered on: 12 March 2018

To date, the department has sent information to around 109,000 claimants at the address at which they have been claiming Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI). Around 95% of the live caseload have been contacted and we continue to take steps to contact the remaining claimants. The remaining 5% of cases include those where we have so far been unable to make contact for a variety of reasons, such as where we need to obtain a current telephone number for the claimant. As of week commencing 5th March 2018, over 10,100 claimants (around 11% of the live caseload) have stated their intention to take up the offer of an SMI loan.

Q
Asked by Melanie Onn
(Great Grimsby)
[N]
Close

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 07 March 2018
Department for Work and Pensions
Support for Mortgage Interest
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many recipients of Support for Mortgage Interest have applied for a loan since the introduction of that loan.
A
Answered by: Kit Malthouse
Answered on: 12 March 2018

As of week commencing 5th March 2018, over 10,100 claimants have stated their intention to take up the offer of an SMI loan. Around 109,000 claimants have been contacted and approximately 16,000 are considering their options.

Q
(Wirral West)
[N]
Close

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 07 March 2018
Department for Work and Pensions
Employment and Support Allowance
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, pursuant to the Answer of 20 February 2018 to Question 127002, on Employment Support Allowance: Correspondence, how many claimants of support for mortgage interest were not contacted by letter by the target date of the end of February.
A
Answered by: Kit Malthouse
Answered on: 12 March 2018

To date, the department has sent information to around 95% SMI claimants at the address at which they are claiming SMI benefit. In the remaining 5% of cases (approximately 5,500 cases) we have so far been unable to contact these claimants for a variety of reasons such as where we need to obtain a current telephone number for the claimant. We are in the process of writing to these claimants and continue to make every effort to contact them. All claimants will be given at least 6 weeks from their loan offer date to consider their options and make a decision whether to take the offer of an SMI loan.

Q
(Wirral West)
[N]
Close

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 07 March 2018
Department for Work and Pensions
Support for Mortgage Interest
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many support for mortgage interest claimants have been contacted by (a) letter and (b) follow-up phone conversation.
A
Answered by: Kit Malthouse
Answered on: 12 March 2018

As of week commencing 5th March 2018, approximately 109,000 existing Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) claimants have been sent information at the address where they have been claiming SMI benefit. Claimants are sent information about how the SMI loan will work, about possible alternatives to the loan and organisations that may offer further information and support. This is followed up by telephone calls from Serco to explain the information and answer any questions. A leaflet containing Frequently Asked Questions is issued after this informed discussion. Around 95% of the live caseload have been contacted and we continue to take steps to contact the remaining claimants. As of the same period, approximately 53,500 claimants have had a follow-up telephone informed discussion.

Expand all answers
Print selected
Showing 1-4 out of 4
Results per page
Results per page 20 | 50 | 100