Written questions and answers

Written questions allow Members of Parliament to ask government ministers for information on the work, policy and activities of government departments.

Historical written answers can be found in Hansard.

Find the latest written questions and answers for the 2019-21 session below. We welcome your feedback on this service.

Find by:


Unique Identifying Number – Every written question in the House of Commons has a UIN per Parliament. In the House of Lords each written questions has a UIN per parliamentary session.
Showing 1-1 out of 1
Results per page
Results per page 20 | 50 | 100
Expand all answers
Print selected
Asked by Ruth Jones
(Newport West)
Asked on: 18 May 2020
Home Office
Asylum: Housing
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what financial support the Government is providing to people living in asylum accommodation to ensure that they can access soap, hand sanitiser and other essential personal hygiene items during the covid-19 outbreak.
Answered by: Chris Philp
Answered on: 26 May 2020

Asylum seekers receiving support under section 95 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 are generally provided with accommodation and a cash allowance to cover other essential living needs, including hygiene products. For those in section 98 Initial Accommodation and hotel or hostel accommodation, hygiene products are provided to them.

As a result of the Covid-19 crisis a higher proportion of asylum seekers than usual are being accommodated in full-board hostels and hotels.

We continue to monitor the situation closely and we are making adjustments to our processes and procedures where necessary and appropriate. There are currently no cases of Covid-19 in the immigration detention estate.

Expand all answers
Print selected
Showing 1-1 out of 1
Results per page
Results per page 20 | 50 | 100