Written questions and answers

Written questions allow Members of Parliament to ask government ministers for information on the work, policy and activities of government departments.

Historical written answers can be found in Hansard.

Find the latest written questions and answers for the 2019-21 session below. We welcome your feedback on this service.

Find by:


Unique Identifying Number – Every written question in the House of Commons has a UIN per Parliament. In the House of Lords each written questions has a UIN per parliamentary session.
Showing 1-1 out of 1
Results per page
Results per page 20 | 50 | 100
Expand all answers
Print selected
Asked by Afzal Khan
(Manchester, Gorton)
Asked on: 15 May 2020
Home Office
Refugees: Families
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will expand existing family reunion rules to allow parents to sponsor children over the age of 18 to join them in the UK.
Answered by: Chris Philp
Answered on: 26 May 2020

The Government has consistently made clear its considerable concern that allowing refugee children to sponsor family risks creating incentives for more children to be encouraged, or even forced, to leave their family and attempt hazardous journeys to the UK. This would play into the hands of criminal gangs, undermining our safeguarding responsibilities.

Government policy makes clear that there is discretion to grant visas outside the Immigration Rules, which caters for extended family members in exceptional circumstances – including young adult sons or daughters who are dependent on family here and living in dangerous situations. Refugees can also sponsor adult dependent relatives living overseas to join them where, due to age, illness or disability, that person requires long-term personal care that can only be provided by relatives in the UK.

Grouped Questions: 47441 | 47442
Expand all answers
Print selected
Showing 1-1 out of 1
Results per page
Results per page 20 | 50 | 100