British Nationality: Children and Young People:Written question - HL114

Asked on: 15 October 2019
Home Office
British Nationality: Children and Young People
To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the impact of the fee for a child or young person to register as a British citizen upon people born stateless in the UK.
Answered on: 05 November 2019

The Home Office has no current plans to specifically review the fees policy applicable to stateless persons applying to register as a British citizen, however the Home Office keeps its fees for immigration and nationality under review.

The Home Office has no current plans to produce a specific impact assessment in respect of the fee for a child or young person born stateless to register as a British citizen. An assessment of the impact of all border, immigration and citizenship (BIC) fees was published as an associated document to the Immigration and Nationality Fees (Regulation) 2018. In response to a recommendation from the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration the Department will consider publication of fee-related Policy Equality Statements on a case by case basis going forward.

Statistics on the UK’s resident population and on births by nationality of parent are a matter for the Office for National Statistics.

The Home Office stateless leave policy is designed to assist those who are unable to return to their country of former habitual residence because they are stateless and no longer have a right of residence there. This also reflects our obligations under the UN Stateless Conventions by providing a means for stateless persons in the UK to access their basic human rights and is part of our efforts to address wider global issues facing stateless persons. Leave to remain applications to stay in the UK as a stateless person are free of charge.

There are citizenship routes for children who are born in the UK: if their parent becomes British or settled, or if they live in the UK for the first ten years of their life. In addition there are provisions for stateless children which allow us to meet our obligations under the 1961 Convention.

Grouped Questions: HL111 | HL112 | HL115

Share this page