Prisoners: Education:Written question - HL17171

Asked on: 15 July 2019
Ministry of Justice
Prisoners: Education
To ask Her Majesty's Government how many prisoners have been Released on Temporary Licence to enable them to access higher and further education in the community in each of the last three academic years.
Answered by: Lord Keen of Elie
Answered on: 24 July 2019

It is not possible, except at disproportionate cost, to establish the number of prisoners who have been released on ROTL to allow access to higher and further education in each of the last three years.

There are four categories of ROTL: Resettlement Day Release (RDR), Resettlement Overnight Release (ROR), Special Purpose Licence (SPL) and Childcare Resettlement Licence (CRL). Prisons are required to record the reasons for each release on temporary licence choosing from the following options. They are not required to specify the level of education:

(RDR) Education or Training

(RDR) Paid Work - Retail and Wholesale

(RDR) Paid Work – Manufacturing

(RDR) Paid Work - Catering and hospitality

(RDR) Paid Work - Transportation and storage

(RDR) Paid Work - Construction and recycling

(RDR) Paid Work - IT and communication

(RDR) Paid Work - Agriculture and horticulture

(RDR) Paid Work - Other

(RDR) Unpaid Work - Retail and Wholesale

(RDR) Unpaid Work – Manufacturing

(RDR) Unpaid Work - Catering and hospitality

(RDR) Unpaid Work - Transportation and storage

(RDR) Unpaid Work - Construction and recycling

(RDR) Unpaid Work - IT and communication

(RDR) Unpaid Work - Agriculture and horticulture

(RDR) Unpaid Work - Other

(RDR) Prisoner Apprenticeships Pathway

(RDR) Maintain Family Ties

(RDR) Outside Prison Activities

(RDR) Accommodation Related

(RDR) Other RDR Linked to Sentence/Resettlement Plan

(ROR) Resettlement Overnight Release

(SPL) Funeral

(SPL) Visit Dying Relative

(SPL) Medical/Dental Inpatient Appointment

(SPL) Medical/Dental Outpatient Appointment

(SPL) Other Compassionate Reason

(SPL) Court/Legal/Police/Prison Transfer

(CRL) Childcare Resettlement Licence

Share this page