Hill Farming:Written question - HL15504

Asked on: 02 May 2019
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Hill Farming
To ask Her Majesty's Government what support they are giving to hill farmers.
Answered on: 17 May 2019

Upland farmers are eligible to receive payments under the Common Agricultural Policy's Basic Payment Scheme (BPS). We will pay Direct Payments for the 2019 scheme year on the same basis as for 2018 and plan to allocate the money paid in Direct Payments for 2020 in much the same way that we do now.

Upland farmers can also apply for a Countryside Stewardship agreement, and many receive support through Countryside Stewardship and Environmental Stewardship. The current round of Countryside Stewardship is open for applications until 31 July. This includes a specific Wildlife offer for Upland farmers. Capital grants are also available through the Hedgerow and Boundaries grant, which closed for applications on 3 May.

The Government has also pledged to continue to commit the same cash total in funds for farm support until the end of the Parliament, expected in 2022. The figure includes all EU and Exchequer funding provided for farm support under both Pillar 1 and Pillar 2. Furthermore, all Pillar 2 agreements signed by 31 December 2020 will be funded for their lifetime.

Share this page