Asylum: Housing:Written question - HL13950

Asked by Lord Beecham
Asked on: 21 February 2019
Home Office
Asylum: Housing
To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of whether there is overcrowding in government-supported accommodation for asylum seekers and refugees.
Answered on: 07 March 2019

To ensure overcrowding does not happen accommodation providers must comply with national and local housing regulations including those regarding room sharing. The accommodation contracts set out who may share a room, which includes allowing room sharing for couples, unrelated adults of the same sex and related children depending on their genders and ages.

Providers are contractually required to take account of any particular circumstances and vulnerability of those that they accommodate and an assessment is made on a case-by-case basis depending on the specific needs of the individual. All of our properties are inspected by the providers on a monthly basis, in addition to regular inspections carried out by Home Office officials. Where there are licensing requirements, local authorities also conduct inspections.
The statement of requirements showing the requirements for accommodation sizes and room sharing can be found at

Share this page