Mental Health Services: Children and Young People:Written question - HL10323

Asked by Lord Shinkwin
Asked on: 12 September 2018
Department of Health and Social Care
Mental Health Services: Children and Young People
To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the publication of their response to the Consultation on Transforming Children and Young People's Mental Health Provision: a Green Paper and Next Steps (Cm 9626) published in July, which health practitioners they envisage being part of the composition of (1) Mental Health Support Teams, and (2) specialist NHS children and young people's mental health services.
Answered by: Lord O'Shaughnessy
Answered on: 20 September 2018

New Mental Health Support Teams will provide support in and near schools and colleges for children and young people with mild to moderate mental health conditions. They will work closely with schools and colleges on establishing a whole-school approach to supporting mental health. We are creating a new role of Education Mental Health Practitioners to staff the teams. They will provide face to face, evidence-based interventions, and work as part of an integrated referral system with existing National Health Service mental health services to ensure that children in need of more specialist support are appropriately referred.

There will be new courses starting in seven universities in January 2019 to train this new workforce of Education Mental Health Practitioners to form the Mental Health Support Teams. Working with Health Education England and NHS England, together with leading clinical experts, we have developed an evidence-based curriculum for these courses. It builds on the existing Children’s Wellbeing Practitioner programme which is already being provided in the universities.

Specialist NHS children and young people’s mental health services are multidisciplinary teams that consist of, but are not limited to psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, support workers, occupational therapists, psychological therapists, primary mental health link workers and specialist substance misuse workers.

Share this page