Nigeria: Internally Displaced People:Written question - 61804

Asked by Ruth Jones
(Newport West)
Asked on: 19 June 2020
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Nigeria: Internally Displaced People
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what steps he is taking to support Nigerians who have been displaced by violence between herders and farmers.
Answered by: James Duddridge
Answered on: 29 June 2020

The UK Government has engaged closely with the Federal Government, state governments, international partners and the National Economic Council to help address the drivers of intercommunal violence and push for solutions.

The British High Commissioner and her team are increasing their engagement with state governments in affected states. For example, a team visited Plateau State in December to discuss the situation with the Governor, Christian and Muslim faith leaders, organisations working on reconciliation, and communities displaced by the violence.

The UK does not currently provide direct humanitarian funding to people displaced by intercommunal conflict in Nigeria. DFID is designing a programme to address conflict over natural resources in Nigeria, which will help to address some of the root causes of the violence. We are exploring whether this will include support to non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

Grouped Questions: 61805

Share this page