Dental Services:Written question - 49875

Asked by Saqib Bhatti
Asked on: 20 May 2020
Department of Health and Social Care
Dental Services
To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what (a) support and (b) guidance is available to patients needing treatment for (i) toothache, (ii) abscesses and (iii) other urgent dental conditions.
Answered by: Jo Churchill
Answered on: 05 June 2020

To meet the Government social distancing measures and to contain the spread of COVID-19 all routine dentistry has currently been suspended.

We expect all National Health Service dental practices to provide urgent telephone advice and triage. Dentists are giving urgent advice remotely and, if needed, prescriptions for painkillers or antibiotics. All urgent face to face treatment that is clinically necessary is available for patients who are triaged by their dentist or NHS 111 into one of the 550 urgent dental care centres set up by NHS England and NHS Improvement.

The urgent dental centres are expected to provide, where urgently needed, the full range of dental treatment normally available on the NHS.

NHS England and NHS Improvement announced on 28 May that NHS dentistry outside urgent care centres will begin to restart from 8 June with the aim of increasing levels of service as fast as is compatible with maximising safety.

A copy of the letter that was published can be found at the following link:

Share this page