Domestic Abuse: Children:Written question - 28042


Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 11 March 2020
Home Office
Domestic Abuse: Children
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what discussions she has had with (a) Ministers and (b) officials of HM Treasury on the long-term funding of specialist support services for children affected by domestic abuse.
Answered by: Victoria Atkins
Answered on: 16 March 2020

The Domestic Abuse Bill, as introduced on 3 March, includes a new statutory duty on tier one local authorities in England to provide support to victims of domestic abuse, and their children, within safe accommodation.

We are working with our colleagues across Government, including HM Treasury and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, to ensure that the resources needed to implement the provisions in the Bill are prioritised as part of the next spending review period from 2021/22.

In the Government’s further response to the Joint Committee on the Draft Domestic Abuse Bill (CP 214), also published on 3 March, we indicated that the Domestic Abuse Commissioner has agreed to undertake an in-depth exploration of the current community-based support landscape to help us better understand the existing routes by which these services are commissioned and funded. The Government will then work with the Commissioner to understand the needs identified and develop options on how best to address them.

Grouped Questions: 28041

Share this page