Musicians: British Nationals Abroad:Written question - 291424

Asked by James Frith
(Bury North)
Asked on: 26 September 2019
Department for Exiting the European Union
Musicians: British Nationals Abroad
To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, what discussions he has had with his EU counterparts on work permits for British musicians living and working in the EU on 1 November 2019.
Answered by: James Duddridge
Answered on: 04 October 2019

The Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union has regular discussions with EU counterparts regarding preparations for the UK’s departure from the European Union.

Throughout this process the Government’s position has been clear; we want a positive future relationship that will support the growth of the creative industries in both the UK and the EU.

For British musicians resident in the EU before exit day, all Member States have now set out unilateral offers for resident UK nationals in the event of a no deal, and have drafted or enacted relevant legislation, which has been summarised on the European Commission website:

After exit, if the UK leaves the EU with a deal, the existing EU rules will continue during the implementation period. This would allow UK nationals and EU citizens to visit and work in each other's territories as they do now from exit day until the end of the implementation period.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK nationals travelling to the EU to undertake paid work, including in the music industry, should check with the Embassy of the countries they plan to travel to for what kind of visa or permit, if any, they will need. Information about entry requirements for those intending to work or provide a service in an EU Member State is listed on our advice pages for UK businesses on

Share this page