Road Traffic Offences: British Nationals Abroad:Written question - 268632

Asked by Royston Smith
(Southampton, Itchen)
Asked on: 24 June 2019
Department for Transport
Road Traffic Offences: British Nationals Abroad
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what support is available to UK nationals accused of (a) driving offences and (b) exceeding the speed limits when driving their UK-registered vehicles in (i) France, (ii) the European Union and (iii) the rest of the world.
Answered by: Michael Ellis
Answered on: 02 July 2019

All drivers should adhere to the local traffic laws, wherever they drive. EU countries are able to request vehicle keeper data from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to prosecute British citizens for certain traffic offences under the Cross Border Enforcement Directive.

There is information available to drivers about driving abroad on Organisations such as RAC and AA also provide information on their websites.

Share this page