Flood Control:Written question - 252511

Asked by Chris Ruane
(Vale of Clwyd)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 09 May 2019
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Flood Control
To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what steps he is taking to improve the resilience of (a) homes and (b) businesses against flooding.
Answered by: Dr Thérèse Coffey
Answered on: 14 May 2019

This is a devolved matter and the information provided therefore relates to England only.

In England, we are working with the commercial and technical sectors through a business led Property Flood Resilience Roundtable, to increase the uptake of flood resilience approaches (recoverability and resistance), both by homes and businesses, in areas at risk of flooding.

Flood Re was established in 2016 to help improve the affordability and availability of Flood Insurance for homes at high risk of flooding across the whole of the UK (including Wales). Flood Re is required to take action to help the flood insurance market transition to one that is risk reflective by 2039. This includes exploring ways in which Flood Re can help improve the uptake of flood resilience measures in homes at risk of flooding.

Our investment programme will better protect at least 300,000 homes from the risk of all flooding and coastal erosion by 2020/21. Up to 60,000 commercial properties have also benefited from better protection thanks to these schemes.

Property Flood Resistance schemes are eligible for GIA and are used where it is technically or financially difficult to use other mechanisms and for residual risk to increase the level of protection from an asset.

Share this page