Mental Health Services: Hearing Impairment:Written question - 243354

Asked by Frank Field
Asked on: 10 April 2019
Department of Health and Social Care
Mental Health Services: Hearing Impairment
To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps he is taking to ensure that deaf people are able to access appropriate, specialist mental health services.
Answered by: Jackie Doyle-Price
Answered on: 18 April 2019

NHS England commissions specialised mental health services for children, young people and adults who are deaf. These include inpatient and outreach services for children and young people and services for adults who require inpatient care, including care in secure mental health services.

Access to services is based on a clinical assessment of need and conducted with the support and involvement of clinicians, including consultant psychiatrists and mental health nurses, with the skills and experience of working with deaf people with mental illness and are able to communicate using British Sign Language where needed.

To further develop these services, the Specialised Mental Health Clinical Reference Group provides advice and support to NHS England about improving commissioning, including through service specifications and quality schemes.

Share this page