Holding answer received on 15 April 2019
Information on the number of electronic monitoring starts for 2015 to 2018 is contained within the table below. Data for the year ending March 2019 will be provided in the next HMPPS Annual Digest, due to be published in July 2019. Data for 2014 is of poor quality and not available.
Table: New electronic monitoring order notifications by order type, England and Wales, for the years ending March 2015 to March 2018 (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)
12 months ending March
Type of Order
Source: EMS Contractor data
r - Figures have been revised since previous reports were published. The differences are generally small and due to the provisional nature of the data when published previously.
(1) These figures are drawn from administrative data systems. Although care is taken when processing and analysing the returns, the detail collected is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system.
(2) Includes orders for subjects on bail, sentenced to a court order, released from custody on licence, immigration orders managed by the Home Office, and a small number of Special orders.
(3) One subject may be given multiple orders over the course of the year. In these figures each is counted individually. I.e. one person with four orders counts as four.
(4) Comprises notifications of new electronic monitoring orders received by the EM contractor that started between April 2014 and March 2018. In some cases the monitoring equipment may never have been installed, e.g. if the subject is taken into custody prior to installation. These cases are included in the total.
(5) Figures for the year ending March 2018 are provisional