British Nationals Abroad: Children:Written question - 239276

Asked by Helen Hayes
(Dulwich and West Norwood)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 01 April 2019
Department for Exiting the European Union
British Nationals Abroad: Children
To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, what steps his Department is taking to ensure UK children being cared for by relatives in another EU member state retain their residency rights after the UK leaves the EU.
Answered by: Mr Robin Walker
Answered on: 04 April 2019

From the very beginning, the Prime Minister has made citizens’ rights our priority for negotiations. The draft Withdrawal Agreement will provide nearly one million UK nationals in the EU with the certainty they need about their rights going forward.

Under the Withdrawal Agreement, all UK nationals lawfully residing in a Member State at the end of the implementation period will be able to stay, this includes British children being cared for by relatives. It also allows close family members to join after the end of the implementation period on the basis of current EU rules, where the relationship existed before the end of the implementation period.

Our policy paper, published on 6 December, confirms that EU citizens resident in the UK by exit day will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to secure their status in a no deal scenario. We are urging all Member States to reciprocate our offer in full and to communicate their detailed plans to UK nationals as soon as possible.

Share this page