Performing Arts: EU Countries:Written question - 216207

(Bristol East)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 01 February 2019
Department for Exiting the European Union
Performing Arts: EU Countries
To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, what plans he has in place for UK (a) musicians, (b) dancers, (c) comedians and (d) other creative workers to (i) tour and (ii) undertake (A) performances, (B) shoots and (C) other short-term projects in EU countries in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019; whether (1) those people and activities will be covered by the proposals on visa-free travel to EU countries after exit day, (2) UK passport holders will be considered third party nationals by countries within the Schengen area and need to apply for visas and work permits under that country’s immigration system for non-EEA citizens or (3) another system will apply; and if his Department will provide guidance for UK citizens on working in the EU at
Answered by: Mr Robin Walker
Answered on: 07 February 2019

Delivering the deal negotiated with the EU remains the Government’s top priority.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the EU have said that UK nationals will be considered third country nationals by countries in the Schengen area after 29 March 2019.

The EU has confirmed that UK nationals would not need a visa when travelling to the Schengen area for short stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. This will be reciprocated by the UK for EU citizens. The commitment to visa-free travel only applies to tourists and short-term business travellers. Extra conditions may be required for travel for the purposes of work and for certain business activities. Musicians, comedians and other UK creative workers will need to check individual EU member state immigration rules for more information regarding visits for work.

The FCO provides travel advice to UK nationals travelling abroad on, and this will include information on travelling to countries in the Schengen area in the event of a no deal. We have published advice on the steps that UK nationals may need to take to prepare for our exit from the EU, which can be found at The Government will publish any necessary updates on in due course.

Share this page