Immigration: EU Nationals:Written question - 188866

Asked by Jo Stevens
(Cardiff Central)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 06 November 2018
Home Office
Immigration: EU Nationals
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how he plans to manage the difference in status between EU citizens who arrive in the UK pre-March 2019 and have a right to work and those who arrive post-March 2019 and do not in the event that the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.
Answered by: Caroline Nokes
Answered on: 12 November 2018

Employers already need to carry out right to work checks on EU citizens, as they do with all prospective employees to prevent illegal working. The statutory code of practice and published guidance for employers are clear that EU citizens can evidence their right to work by showing a passport or national identity card, and employers should continue to refer to these documents.

EU nationals may also use Home Office residence documentation as evidence of their right to work, but they are not currently required to do so. Even in the unlikely event of a no deal situation, this position will not change next March. We will publish a White Paper on the future immigration system later in the autumn.

Share this page