Asylum:Written question - 181328

Asked by Tulip Siddiq
(Hampstead and Kilburn)
Asked on: 18 October 2018
Home Office
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he is taking to ensure that local authorities are empowered and funded to support asylum seekers and newly recognised refugees.
Answered by: Caroline Nokes
Answered on: 26 October 2018

The Home Office provides asylum seekers and their dependants who would otherwise be destitute with free furnished accommodation (rent and utility free) and a weekly cash allowance to cover their other essential living needs. They also have access to free NHS healthcare and education for their dependent children.

Newly recognised refugees are able to apply for mainstream benefits and assistance from their local authority to find housing, and they also have full and unrestricted access to the labour market.

We are working closely with the Department for Work and Pensions to ensure that newly recognised refugees are provided with assistance to apply for any benefit to which they are entitled before their Home Office support comes to an end.

Share this page