Overseas Students: Immigration:Written question - 165452

Asked by Steve McCabe
(Birmingham, Selly Oak)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 18 July 2018
Department for Education
Overseas Students: Immigration
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, if he will bring forward proposals to enable international students who are granted indefinite leave to remain while undertaking a degree to access student loans.
Answered by: Mr Sam Gyimah
Answered on: 23 July 2018

Students who obtain permanent residence within the first three months of the start of the academic year can apply for student finance for the current academic year and future years, subject to meeting the normal eligibility criteria.

Generally, to meet the eligibility requirements for student support, a student should be resident in England, have ‘settled’ status or a recognised connection with the UK and have been a resident of the UK and Islands (Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for the three years prior at the start of the course. Residence in the UK and Islands must not have been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

Grouped Questions: 165451

Share this page