High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention:Written question - 145538

Asked by John Healey
(Wentworth and Dearne)
Asked on: 18 May 2018
Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention
To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what options he is considering to ensure that all privately-owned tower blocks remove and replace unsafe cladding.
Answered by: James Brokenshire
Answered on: 25 May 2018

Since the Grenfell tragedy the Government has worked with fire and rescue services, local authorities and landlords, to identify high rise buildings with unsafe cladding, ensure interim measures are in place to reduce risks, and give building owners clear advice about what they need to do, over the longer term, to make buildings safe.

I will shortly be holding an industry roundtable on the barriers to the remediation of buildings with unsafe cladding. I have said that we rule nothing out at this stage.

The Government will fully fund the removal and replacement of potentially dangerous Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding on buildings over 18 metres owned by social landlords, with costs estimated at £400 million.

Share this page